Thursday, January 7, 2010

Soap Crayons, Made Easy!


Over on my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayrplayr/ I took you on a pictoral journey of how I made my crayons. This pic is the result of a night of grating, mixing and molding. The final recipe I decided on, was very easy and found all over the internet. Here's what you'll need -

1 cup soap flakes or grated soap
2 Tbsps. hot water
Food coloring (as many drops needed for desired color)

As far as materials.. a grater, if using bar soap, bowl for mixing, heavy utensil for stirring, and ice cube trays or molds. Me, I worked 'em out by hand. ;) My Flickr page explains the steps in more detail. It's fairly easy, and fun! Since it has a clay-like consistancy, I was thinking of sculpting simple shapes. Or even using the weiner and boob molds I have. Hey.. where *are* those molds?? In a day or so, I wll try out the smaller crayons to see if I should continue making the other colors. I did grate more soap tonight while watching NCIS. But with my right thumb and forefinger wore down to the nub, I decided to stop for the night.. lol.

Note to self - find weiner molds..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Different shapes would be good. Would cookie cutters work?

ClayrPlayr said...

Yes, they would, Linda! Thank you for reminding me. When the soap 'dough' is at the right consistancy, it barely sticks to your hands. So I'd shape it into a flat disc by hand, then gently use a rolling pin to finish it off. If you make some, please share! =D